Wednesday, February 22, 2017

How gardeners can beat cabin fever in winter

Even with spring in sight, we are still stuck in the long dark tunnel of winter. Tom Smart suggests ways gardeners can distract themselves until spring arrives

Last weekend I emerged from my house and stood, squinting into the February sun. I felt a strange buzzing around my head, as if my skull was charged with static and at any moment I might experience an electric shock. I rolled my shoulders back and inhaled deeply. My lungs filled with the cold air. The sky was a sharp winter blue and above me, the contrails of transatlantic flights drew chalk marks through the stratosphere. There was something about the sun, the sky, the air – my mind began to clear.

I’d been awake for several hours, but I realised, I did not really feel awake. After days of grey and winter gloom, I often feel my mind becomes foggy. Sometimes I feel lethargic. At other times I feel anxious. It’s at times like these that I do anything to get out of the house: swimming, shopping, a trip to a museum, an oversized mug of tea at a café, the library, or, if the weather permits, a walk. Of course there is a colloquialism for that claustrophobic feeling which many of us experience in winter: cabin fever.

Continue reading...

from Gardening blog | The Guardian http://ift.tt/2lvSqNY

No comments:

Post a Comment