Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Where have all the insects gone? | Charlie Hart

Britain’s insect population is struggling - gone are the days when your windscreen was full of bugs at the end of a car journey

I miss seeing the back end of a bug.

This summer I sensed a disturbance of some sort. There were hardly any ladybirds, almost no butterflies (only the odd cabbage white) and barely a wasp. Very, very odd. I noticed early on that the orchard would crop moderately (as opposed to well); I put this down to the slow spring and accompanying lack of pollinators. But I wonder now whether the silly December we had, with daffodils all over the place and everyone in short sleeves, followed by the later cold snap, followed by the interminably slow spring, may have dealt a seriously deleterious blow to Britain’s overall insect population.

Continue reading...

from Gardening blog | The Guardian http://ift.tt/2divy3p

No comments:

Post a Comment