Friday, April 14, 2017

Why I love my lawn

I know I should convert my grass into something more interesting, but even though I know it’s not trendy, I really do like a well-manicured lawn

Over the last decade or so, growing grasses has become trendy. It’s understandable why prairie-style planting, with billowing spires and spikes that seem to dance in the breeze, is so popular.

But I have a confession to make. I do like grasses, but not the glamorous ones. I like the ordinary suburban grasses, such as Lolium perenne or Festuca rubra. Some people know them as red fescue or ryegrass; most people just refer to them as a lawn. I know that, at the moment, lawns are anything but fashionable. I know I should listen to people like Trevor Dines and convert my grass into something more interesting. But even though I know it’s not trendy, I really do like a well-manicured lawn.

Related: Forget the lawnmower – just let your grass grow

Continue reading...

from Gardening blog | The Guardian http://ift.tt/2phRIoW

No comments:

Post a Comment