Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Diary of a wildlife garden: the robin's return | Kate Bradbury

The sight of a robin lifts the heart of Kate Bradbury as she works on her new wildlife garden

In the darkest days of January, after I had taken up the decking and dug a hole to plant my apple tree, a robin became the first visitor to my newly-made wildlife garden.

She appeared in a flash on top of the fence, flew to the wall and then spotted me and darted off again. She had been here before, I realised, perhaps lured by the recently unveiled earth and its unearthed worms, or the new compost heap, or even the hanging feeder with its diminishing quantity of sunflower hearts. (Robins have only recently learned to use hanging feeders. And you can tell – they look ridiculous.)

Continue reading...

from Gardening blog | The Guardian http://ift.tt/2cPGeGC

No comments:

Post a Comment